Reading Consists of…
Emphasis will be placed on these areas:
- Exposure to Varied Genres
- Determine Word Meaning Using Context Clues
What English consists of...
When we talk to our students about English we are talking about writing and penmanship.
Our district is using Writing Units of Study developed by Lucy Calkins. This is a writing curriculum aligned with the Common Core State Standards. Students will write in three writing genres. The genres we will be addressing are:
Emphasis on instruction will include these areas:
- Structure: lead, transitions, ending, organization, paragraphing
- Topic Development: overall fluency of the paper, personal involvement of the author, a paper that shows reflection, elaboration and craft
- Elaboration: good use of supportive details
- Sentences: sentences that vary in length and type
- Grammar/Usage: correct use of standard grammar, word usage and vocabulary
- Mechanics: correct spelling, capitalization and punctuation
- Penmanship: correct letter formation
The district’s adopted penmanship program is Handwriting Without Tears. Correct placement, spacing and formation of manuscript penmanship on lined paper is expected by all students.